Procrastination

Monday, February 27, 2012

 02632_glassball_1440x900 I have been procrastinating. 1 full week of no school, no homework, and really, just an opportunity to be lazy. And did I ever, ever, use that to the fullest. I spent most of my days baking chocolate chip cookies, 42 freshly baked cookies gone in less than 2 days by my little brother and his ever growing friends, learning to cook Moroccan food (delicious!) watching chick flicks all night (thank goodness my habi watched it with me and actually liked it), shopping and the worst of it all, played Sims3 for an average of 6 hours a day. Did I or did I not say that I spent that 1 week to the fullest or what??? It was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. With the exception of having a bad stomach for 3 out of the 7 days… That was definitely not pretty.

 

Now, tomorrow is back to school, and I am feeling so pumped. Normally, I would be depressed, sad, and dreading the day when I have to wake up at 6 in the morning to catch the 7 a.m. bus just to be on time to my 8 a.m. math class which I skipped 1 full week of before reading week… But, I’m not any of those 3! I feel so well rested and ready for another 2 months of blood, sweat and tears!

 

I was reading a few posts regarding relationships and self-help...  And after awhile, I started to wonder, how many books does one have to read regarding the same topic until they actually understand that after reading 3+ or more books they basically say the same thing over again except in different words? Habi took me to Indigo yesterday night looking for a gift for a co-worker’s loved one, and while we were in the self-help and relationship section I was looking through some of those books and it dawned on to me. Honestly, it doesn’t matter how many books one reads because as long as they’re feeling like they have very little or to no motivation or self-esteem or continue to have relationship problems, they’re going to still keep buying those books and the authors are still going to publish more of those books saying the same thing over again. Why? Because it’s easy money. I don’t want to seem a little harsh or anything, but when I really think about it, it sort of make sense. This is what I briefly mean, and this is towards authors who give advice regarding self-help, relationships, and finance: having a difficult relationship or at a point where the mind is so confused due to self problems that it has difficulty trying to process factual information, the person tries to find a book that they think would help them. When reading the first book, the mind is in this sort of “wonder stage,” where it’s trying to sort out all the information read and attempt to understand it; this is really the only stage and book this person should actually read because eventually, it will make sense. However, the person is in denial regarding the information they read and they end up telling themselves to buy another book thinking that perhaps it will give them a completely different opinion, but we all know that it’s no different than the previous book they read. Eventually, after a few or more books, they come to a conclusion that they have to change their life and by changing their life they have to change themselves. How? To follow the steps of the book they bought. Wow, what a conclusion. And that is how those “become a millionaire” and “get out of debt” authors actually make money. They write books about basically the same thing, however they change a few words here and there. Of course that’s just my own opinion to those get rich quick authors and superficial readers.

 

So on a quick note, if you’re going to buy one of those books, be prepared to spend at least 1 hour at the bookstore looking through those books and actually making sure that the book you’re reading is going to be the only one you’re going to buy. Because really? They’re an average of $20+ for one book that pretty much says the same thing as the other. However, if you have tons of money or time and want to spend and/or have this self-assurance that what you’re actually reading is true, then by all means, no one’s stopping you. But, this sort of spending is definitely not recommended for students or anyone on financial budget.

 

So on an end note,  being an Louise L. Hay fan, and after reading one of her books, my habi chose this book of “Miracles.” It was reasonably priced at about $17.00 and seeing the circumstances of his co-worker,  this seemed to be the most appropriate. Not to sound a little hypocritical, I did read a couple of her books, and I do confess, she is a really good inspirational writer. Really. I did manage to get myself sucked into her works, and that does not happen often with those advice books.  You can purchase the book for roughly the same price on Amazon (I placed the link below) new or cheaper used, including shipping, or you can go to your nearest book store as well.

 

Anyways, that’s all folks. Enjoy your days!

 

 

 FHGmailSig

 

 

0 comments:

 

2009 ·One Way To Love by TNB